Saturday, July 26, 2008

toddler games

Piper plays a game with her pacifier. Its just sweet, and I know we're crazy but we're okay with its use right now, even though she's two. She only gets it in bed. The game is that a few times during the day, everyday, she comes out with it and this big, silly grin on her face. I laugh and say "go put that back in your bed," and she runs from the room giggling and puts it back. I think the game has less to do with the paci and more with interacting with me in trying to pull one over and LOVING getting caught. Oh dear.
This morning she comes out with it. I tell her to go put it by her bed. She runs off. Piper then comes in with the guilty smile, and has her blankie wrapped up funny near her mouth. I laugh and tell her to go put her paci back by the bed. It was just a guess, but she was grinning really big, and I was right: the paci was hidden in the blankie. She runs off. She then comes back in with this giant fabric box from her room, that (until right then) held toys. The box is over her head, the paci is in her mouth and she is giggling hysterically. Repeat direction, repeat running. The game ended here, she knows not to push it. The box stayed out as today's "cowboy hat" of choice.

2 comments:

Patti said...

A flurry of posts! How delightful. Oh, the pacifier. Friend, comforter, prop for comedy routines...it was all this and more around here. Harper said a (tearful, mournful, epic) good-bye to hers on the day of her third birthday. I know--great memories. We just really thought she'd give it up on her own and had set the When You Turn Three goal thinking it would be long gone by then. Anyway, the recovery was swift and it did not, as I had feared, put an end to her great sleep habits. Her teeth are another story, but as Mr. Douglass wisely commented, these are just the practice set anyway, right?

ari said...

Thank you thank you for the pacifier encouragement. I'm not ready for her to give it up, for the same reasons Harper kept hers. I like the idea of three being the FINAL day. Although, we may have three sets of pacifiers in the house by then...I think maybe we'll do the old, the baby needs it and no one else routine? Argh, the second daughter may be the kink.
These indeed are the practice set. But practice makes perfect? I'm guessing we need to save now for orthodontia.